RFC: fedora-devel-announce

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 22:24:33 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:
> Someone (not me ;) should seriously analyse the topics of fedora-devel
> and -maintainers, check their relationship and objectively identify
> what is the discrepancy of the de jure and de facto split of topics
> and either document practice (good) or enforce a different model (less
> good, but also an option).

Okay.  I just did a quick run on threads (excluding this one) from now
back to the beginning of June on -maintainers.  Looks like over half of
them could have been moved off this list as they didn't affect most
maintainers and/or were reporting bugs, etc.

Koji failed to build [checkout error]
not every maintainer needs to know that one specific package failed to
build, should be on -devel or a bug filed.

Outage Notification - 2007-06-07 04:00 [UTC]
Every maintainer needs to know about this.  Good.

owners.epel.list problem
Bug in a repo file.  Not every maintainer needs to know this.  Bug can
be filed or moved to -devel.

libmpcdec-1.2.6, soname++
Only 4 packages are affected by this including one by the sender of the
mail, so this would affect 3 people total.  Probably best to send them
direct mail.

Plan for tomorrows (20070607) FESCO meeting
Most people probably don't care.

bogus debuginfo*rpms in updates/repodata
Most people don't care unless they have to do something.

Broken libcurl.so.3 dependency
Affects some people, but until we figure out what, should probably be
posted to -devel.

Summary of the 2007-06-05 Packaging Committee meeting
In general, this affects people when they need to know about new
guidelines, so probably good that it's on -maintainers.

libwnck soname bumps
Affects a lot of packagers.  -maintainers is fine

Easier way to maintain comps.xml ?
This is looking for opinions about comps.xml which most people don't
know/care about.  Wrong list for this IMO.

Fedora Package Status of Jun  5, 2007
While all-encompassing, do we need this to be mailed out to all the
maintainers?  People like stats, not sure if this is useful here or not.
  Should we just have a page for it (which we do) and people can look
when they want?

koji: not building against koji-built packages? bug or user issue?
Affects everyone, but is trying to figure out policy.  Probably should
move somewhere else first.

Info for package maintainers
Help in general for maintainers.  Probably fine here.

Bodhi returns 500 Internal Error when submitting new update
Small thread that affected some maintainers but probably should have
been filed as a bug.

FESCo Meeting Summary for 2007-05-31
Okay.

cegui review & heads up
No replies.  But probably should have gone to -devel or something where
there are more devel type people.

libwnck soname up
This should definitely have been sent to -devel.

Proposed patch to cvs-import.sh
->bugzilla?

Merge Review
Probably good for this list as it's trying to clarify what the existing
policy is for maintainers.

Bodhi updates-testing Autopush, Anonymous Commenting
Brainstorm thread.  The announcement of bodhi should have pointed to a
place to file ideas for it where people can go to.  Else, this is more
for development of a tool and should have gone to -devel where a fair
number of maintainers live anyway.

No sound on PowerPC Mac Mini after upgrading from fc6 to Fedora7
Wrong list -- should have been to -test or some user forum.

"Fedora Update System" makes comments into bugzilla and closes bugs
Letting maintainers know about a feature.  Probably okay.

Unsigned package in repo - how do I get it signed?
This should have been a bug filed against something, though the thread
poster didn't know where to file.  We should make this easier to learn.
  Asking where to file is probably okay here, though.

Plan for tomorrow's (20070604) Release Engineering meeting
There's probably other lists that people who care about this stuff can
go to.  Come back with results.

EPEL report week 21, 2007
relates to a large number of contributors, though this might do better
as a newsletter, etc.

Fedora 7 Update Informatin for general users
Probably should have been to -devel

[Fwd: Bugzilla news is the Zod announcement]
This is a bug report about our bugzilla page.  -maintainers is
absolutely the wrong list here.

Updates notification information on Fedora 7?
Clarification on a brand new update tool, okay to post on -maintainers.

HOWTO for bodhi and friends?
Asking for more clarification, okay for this list.

Pushing from updates-testing to updates
Looking for clarification.  Okay.

Yum-presto not "submitted" in Bodhi
Asking about a specific package, but since it's confusion on bodhi,
probably okay.