general mailing list reorganization? (was Re: RFC: fedora-devel-announce)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Jun 7 04:48:44 UTC 2007

On 06.06.2007 23:01, Brian Pepple wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 15:04 -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
>> Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>>>>
>>> Yeah, I don't get this.  fedora-maintainers is pretty useful - high
>>> signal, low crap.  The proper reaction to things like this is almost
>>> never _another_ mailing list.
>>>
>> It is pretty useful if you have the time to follow all the posts and
>> read everything.  It is wrong-minded however to expect everyone with
>> lesser commitments to be able to read and follow everything on a busy
>> discussion list.  For them, they could opt to follow minimally
>> fedora-devel-announce.
>>
>> I'm half-decided on if fedora-devel-announce then kill
>> fedora-maintainers.  fedora-maintainers has the benefit of having a
>> significantly better signal to noise ratio than fedora-devel-list.
>> There is however a detriment to the redundancy.
>>
>> If folks were willing to be more MILITANT AND CONSISTENT in enforcing
>> the "devel only" rules for fedora-devel-list I might be happier about
>> killing fedora-maintainers.  But consistent enforcement has proven to be
>> impossible to maintain in the past.
>>
>> We should talk about this issues in tomorrow's FESCO meeting.
>
> I've added it to the schedule.

Killing fedora-maintainers is part of the plan for the mailing list
reorganization the Board put on my plate months ago. The hardware for
that was promised for mid April. :-( Mike, any update when something
really happens?

BTW, I agree with the fedora-devel-announce idea as something like that
was part of the mailing list reorganization as well. But if the hardware
for that is not that far away (e.g. less then one month) I'd say we
create that on the new hardware directly.

CU
knurd