"people wanted to be independent of red hat" ??? (was: general mailing list reorganization?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Jun 7 19:13:18 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 07:07:18PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 07.06.2007 18:55, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >> I asked for the Board's opinion on fedora-advisory-board ; maybe the
> >> board can make it a higher priority *if* we want it to be one.
> > If we get more people requesting it it will be easier to justify giving
> > it a higher priority.
>
> Well, the Board afaics months ago already agreed that we need to do
> something. We just let it slip a bit due to the merge being more
> important ;-)

> >> You mean the mailman that runs this list? Or for a
> >> lists.fedoraproject.org? I'm fine with doing the reorganization on this
> >> server, but back months ago a lot of people wanted a dedicated server.
> > Nope, I mean where its hosted now.
>
> As I said: I'm fine with continuing to use it. But back earlier this year
>
> 1. -- people wanted to get a subdomain with a "list" prefix

Who are these people? Maybe they should speak up if this is such an
issue?

> 2. -- I think there were concerns because none of us had direct access
> to the mailman servers

That's a valid point, but maybe Mike can get access for himself, so
there will be one Fedora insider who can fix things?

> 3. -- people wanted to be independent of red hat

So let's cancel Red Hat's sponsoring and find a new role for Max, Mike
and all other Fedora dedicated @redhat.com folks. We should also find
new sponsoring for Red Hat's donated hardware and bandwidth
resources. ;)

What's the problem with being dependent on Red Hat? Some (most) see
this as a feature, not a bug, and it's Fedora's tagline "sponsored by
Red Hat". Changing the domain name, while it will be nice, is not a
way to become independent of Red Hat or to falsly demonstrate such
independence.

It isn't wrong to use the fp.o domain, but not for the reasons stated,
more for consistent cosmetic/asthetic reasons and "corporate
design". And these reasons are indeed rather low priority.

> Mike are the solution to problem "2"? Could the first problem maybe
> solved with an alias or something like that? The only point "3"
> would remain.

Let's invest resources into smoothing our tools and getting into the
next phase of the improved merged buildsystem, aka scm
business. Wasting resources in hardware and man power just to fix a
domain suffix seems wrong at this point in time.

I think Warren's "let's just create the new needed lists" attitude is
far better suited.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net