Plan for tomorrow's (20070604) Release Engineering meeting

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Jun 7 23:32:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 11:18:46PM +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 14:15 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Monday 04 June 2007 13:45:07 Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> > > I thought about this, but it wouldn't ensure proper ordering between
> > > packages. Packager A rebuilds after Package B is done, but changes to
> > > Package A affect Package B's build.
> >
> > How would a mass rebuild be any different?  A mass rebuild is likely to go
> > through in either ls ordering or python hash ordering....
>
> That needn't be the case. Packages could be built in a "from the ground
> up" order beginning with what's by default in the buildroots (i.e. what
> doesn't need to be build-required). This gets only ambiguous with cyclic
> build-dependencies in which case we'd have to fall back to something
> else (ls ordering, python hash ordering or even "bug the release
> engineers and let them decide" ;-)).

But Jesse rightfully argues that doing so requires a createrepo
running after each build [1], which takes 20-30 minutes. So for 4000
packages you would need 55-83 *days* just for createrepo.

Of course this can be sped up, 20-30 minutes sounds like a lot even
for a blank non-cached createrepo run. And the repomd data could be
optimized in both creating and downloading to only take a tiny
fraction of time & bandwidth of what it takes today, so the createrepo
command is of the order of seconds instead of minutes. This would also
benefit any yum user as a side-effect.

But a two-phase rebuild would already cater for most ordering issues
anyway, especially when the tree is considered in a good shape.

[1] This isn't completely true however, since package N+1 will not
    always depend on package N, so an intelligent mass-rebuilder could
    skip a lot of createrepo steps by only issuing a createrepo when
    really needed. But even if we kill say 3/4 of all createrepo
    commands we would still spend 2 weeks in createrepo alone.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net