Plan for tomorrow's (20070604) Release Engineering meeting

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Jun 8 17:18:51 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 06:32:19PM +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 01:32 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > That needn't be the case. Packages could be built in a "from the ground
> > > up" order beginning with what's by default in the buildroots (i.e. what
> > > doesn't need to be build-required). This gets only ambiguous with cyclic
> > > build-dependencies in which case we'd have to fall back to something
> > > else (ls ordering, python hash ordering or even "bug the release
> > > engineers and let them decide" ;-)).
> >
> > But Jesse rightfully argues that doing so requires a createrepo
> > running after each build [1], which takes 20-30 minutes. So for 4000
> > packages you would need 55-83 *days* just for createrepo.
>
> Only if you'd do a whole createrepo for each package built. Surely it
> must be possible to take the existing repo metadata and just update them
> with that of the newly built package and surely it wouldn't take so much
> time, right?

There is a patch to do so that doesn't apply anymore to the current
createrepo sources.

But other than that: The 20-30 required minutes are what the current
buildsystem really needs to add a package to pool of BR-available
packages, yes. The patch mentioned would certainly help, but I even
have the bad feeling that it is already applied to an older createrepo
as used by the buildsystem ... :/
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net