verifying comps

Christian Iseli Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Mon Jun 11 13:48:20 UTC 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 00:43:59 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> If I want to find 'a perl module that deals with timezones', searching
> is better than scrolling through perl-*.
>
> If I want to find 'a library for accessing tiff files', searching is
> better than scrolling through *-devel.
>
> comps just doesn't scale to all 7600 packages... it's *too much data*.

Thanks for explaining.

comps is pretty nice to make groups and mark things as base, optional,
etc.  I agree it doesn't scale too well though.  Maybe more groups
would be nice but it's really difficult to properly categorize some
things.

But this issue is pretty orthogonal to the question of whether or not
all leaf packages should end up in comps... which is also unresolved yet