Bodhi can push updates with broken dependencies?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Jun 14 14:43:52 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote :

> On Thursday 14 June 2007 10:06:36 Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Better run it, it takes only 10-15 minutes. And multilib packages should
> > not break so often. In Extras they have lead to a few false positives when
> > somebody released ABI incompatible updates, but no packager has ever
> > complained about that, since usually it is obvious when a broken deps
> > report refers to multilib breakage (e.g. i386.rpm in repo-x86_64).
> >
> > With koji it might even be possible to use some of the package Req/Prov
> > details in the koji database. But until this is implemented and tested,
> > we should reuse existing tools wherever it makes sense.
>
> Unfortunately the existing tools don't mesh well with how we're producing
> updates now.  bodhi adjusts package tags within koji and then we ask mash to
> do a compose of that tag.  This is vastly different than how we did things
> before and not easy to pause in the middle of it to give the pusher the
> option to either allow a push to go through with broken deps (getting say a
> firefox security fix out that may break a few ancillary packages, or a new
> kernel for security out that may break a few kernel modules), or to roll back
> the push and uncheck the things that will cause problems.
>
> Last time I talked with somebody I don't think koji tracks everything that
> would be necessary to use it's data for dep checking.

Well, ultimately it would be best to prevent any kind of breakage, but
in the particular case of the updated kernel being pushed without the
newer mkinitrd it requires, the check could be much simpler : It
wouldn't check the consistency of the entire repo, nor even if the
updates pushed would break existing stuff... it would just check if
it's not pushing something broken, i.e. check if all requirements of the
packages being pushed are met.

Not ideal, but maybe quite easy and yet very useful?

Matthias

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) - Linux kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
Load : 0.09 0.10 0.05