Bodhi updates-testing Autopush, Anonymous Commenting

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 20:11:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 13:11 -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Warren Togami wrote:
> > Idea: Timeout Default, Configurable?
> > ====================================
> > Default updates-testing timeout is 7 days.  Package maintainer may set a
> > different timeout period (i.e. 4, 9 or 14 days), or turn off the timeout
> > entirely.
>
> Default should be off, IMO.  Maintainer should have to set a timeout IMO
> if they want it.  I don't know that in 7 days I will have enough
> feedback in all cases.  Trying to get feedback on a hard-to-reproduce
> bug might take 8 days.  And if I forget to turn off the default timeout,
> users will get a needless update if the fix doesn't actually work.
>
> I am okay with configuring the timeout as long as the default is off.

I have a different view on this.  I would like updates-testing to be
strictly for updates that are headed for the repository.  As such, there
should be no way to disable the timeout on updates-testing.  This is to
help those users who want to constantly run later packages from the
testing repo to run them knowing that they are all candidates for
release.

Caillon has another valid use case.  We've tossed it around before as
some kind of sandbox repo.  I'd love to see that enabled in addition to
updates-testing so that you can push an RC, beta, or
maybe-this-fixes-your-bug build to the sandbox; wait for _specific_
feedback that tells you that this build satisfies your criteria for
sending out to the rest of the world; and then choose to push to
updates-testing if that happens.

Basically, I think there's two different audiences and use cases for
"I'm pretty sure this is good, let's have people beat on it to make
sure" and "this is probably a bad update but I need to have it tested
and proven so I know what still needs fixing."

The big question is, are we going to see sandbox repos that can enable
this?  If so, is it something of high or low priority?

-Toshio