Bodhi updates-testing Autopush, Anonymous Commenting

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 06:08:22 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 23:22 -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > I have a different view on this.  I would like updates-testing to be
> > strictly for updates that are headed for the repository.  As such, there
> > should be no way to disable the timeout on updates-testing.  This is to
> > help those users who want to constantly run later packages from the
> > testing repo to run them knowing that they are all candidates for
> > release.
>
> And what is to guarantee maintainers actually look at feedback?  Maybe a
> package is pushed to testing with a timeout of 7 days, and for whatever
> reason, they don't notice 50 "this update eats my file system" comments
> on the update.  Sounds like a great idea.

The comments go to Bodhi -> Bodhi flags the package as being unavailable
to push and sends a message to the maintainer.  Pretty simple.

> The whole point of -testing is that we're assuming updates might not
> ready for production.  If we want to assume that updates _are_ ready to
> be pushed, let's just skip -testing altogether and fix bugs post facto.

That's not the impression I've been receiving.  What I've been reading
is that -testing is there because the maintainer assumes the package is
ready for production but sitting in -testing gives automated testing and
human driven QA a chance to take place.

Which is why I think there's two audiences and two use cases being
proposed for the same repository currently.

-Toshio