Script to determinate packages wich need comaintainership

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Jun 18 17:10:02 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> Now that we are post F7, I'd like to see a second round of
> discussion concerning the strawman proposal (i believe warren
> proposed) on how to get limited cvs access to upstream developers so
> I can pull upstream people in as co-maintainers on the packages for
> software they themselves develop, while I act as the responsible and
> trusted fedora contributor to push updates. I don't necessarily need
> other established fedora package monkeys to help me co-maintain.
> What I need is to find a way to get new people, specifically
> upstream developers enough cvs and build system access to help me
> deal with codebase issues instead of shallow fedora packaging
> adminstrata .

Would it be sufficient to work this in the opposite direction?  For
the few packages I maintain I've tried to be active with the upstream
project as much as possible.  For me, that's mostly helping with
packaging, SCM, and documentation issues, as well as helping to answer
questions on the mailing lists for these projects.  That helps me earn
respect from the main developers and frees up their time to do more
cool development.  Then if I run into a problem building or running
the software I can go to the list and likely get quick help and
usually a quick fix as well.  That in turn means I don't have to
manage many Fedora specific patches, which makes my life simpler.

As far as the greater goal of bringing more developers into Fedora,
it's not so direct an approach.  But I think that it makes Fedora look
good when we have the latest upstream offerings and are active
upstream.  If one of the upstream folks gets tired of their particular
distro shipping outdated versions of their software, they'll know they
can use Fedora and stay current.  Then perhaps they'll also consider
joining as a maintainer.

(Just keep my kneecaps out of this discussion Jef. :)

Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.