Topics for this week's Release Engineering meeting?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 18 17:19:52 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Monday 18 June 2007 13:09:55 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> I am not sure how it would hurt the user if we enforce good practices
>> using tools as opposed to retroactively fixing it after the users get
>> hit by the problems.  Can you explain?  Can bug reports be automated for
>> existing packages? Can a RFE be filed against the build system to
>> prevent new packages from being introduced into the repository with such
>> issues?
>
> Because it's not just about new packages, so just dropping a package which
> grows a file conflict isn't a good solution as that leaves the end user
> holding the bag.

It also provides a compelling reason for the maintainer to fix the issue
but that's probably the last measure for a existing package. Can bug
reports be automated?

Also a new package may have perfectly valid files/provides
> but an existing package has the improper one, so why penalize the new correct
> package because of the errors of an existing package.

Think about this from the end users perspective. They shouldn't be
dealing with conflicting files in packages that was not there before the
new package got introduced regardless of where the fault lies. How you
deal with that is a internal issue. If blocking it in the build system
is not the right solution then find another one that solves the problem
without it hitting end users.

Rahul