Script to determinate packages wich need comaintainership

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Jun 18 18:00:27 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 6/18/07, Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:
>> As far as the greater goal of bringing more developers into Fedora,
>> it's not so direct an approach.  But I think that it makes Fedora
>> look good when we have the latest upstream offerings and are active
>> upstream.  If one of the upstream folks gets tired of their
>> particular distro shipping outdated versions of their software,
>> they'll know they can use Fedora and stay current.  Then perhaps
>> they'll also consider joining as a maintainer.
>
> Join Fedora how? By submitting new packages they aren't already
> involved in the upstream development of so they can earn sponsorship
> status?  That's crap, and it arbitrarily raises the bar for
> developers to be involved.

Okay, true enough.  I missed that important piece of the goal.

> Here's the question that I need answering.
>
> What is the process by which upstream developers can take some to
> all of the maintainership duties of currently existing packages?
> The fedora sponsorship process is driven around the concept of
> package submission... but how do we get people sponsored for
> maintainership for packages that already exist?

It would need another level of access, just below full maintainer
level.  Is that something that the PackageDB can help with at all?

I agree with you that it would be handy to be able to ease someone
from upstream into the process if they could at least start by
building their own software instead of someone else's.

I do still think that much of the need for them to be involved as
packagers can be minimized by those of us who are packaging stuff
being involved upstream (e.g. codebase issues and fixing non-packaging
bugs).  Not that I think you disagree on that point.  Just that it may
shape the timeframe in which any changes need to happen in.

Anyway, I'll leave the discussion to folks that can actually implement
the needed changes. :)

When I think about all the crap I learned in high school ... it's a
wonder I can think at all.
    -- Paul Simon