Script to determinate packages wich need comaintainership

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 18:31:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 14:00 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > Here's the question that I need answering.
> >
> > What is the process by which upstream developers can take some to
> > all of the maintainership duties of currently existing packages?
> > The fedora sponsorship process is driven around the concept of
> > package submission... but how do we get people sponsored for
> > maintainership for packages that already exist?
>
> It would need another level of access, just below full maintainer
> level.  Is that something that the PackageDB can help with at all?

I think these would be the technical things that need to be addressed to
add just this features:

A) cvs ACL system that understands groups.  c4chris sent a patch that
should do this for the current code.  I'll take another look at this and
apply it.  It shouldn't actually do anything until we do the rest of the
steps.
B) a new group who's acl allows them to checkout/connect to the cvs
server but not commit.
C) Modification to our acl generating scripts to output the group
definitions and new acls based on them.  Something like:
D) Upstream will need to have an account in the FAS. [*]_

1:  [all packages] | [anyone] | deny
2:  [all packages] | @cvsadmin | allow
3:  [packages with no current policy] | @cvsextras | allow
4:  [packages with policy] | user1,user2,user3 | allow

Notice that this definition does not include the new group anywhere.  A
user in the new group only gains access by being explicitly listed on a
line like #4.

[*]_: This leads us into the non-technical realm.  Currently, everyone
who can contributes content directly (docs, packages committed to cvs,
etc) agrees to the CLA.  Must upstream maintainers sign the CLA as well?

If (A) works as expected only (C) would need coding.  I'm working to get
the PackageDB out this week or early next so my inclination is to wait
until that is out and rewrite the script from within that framework once
(D) is decided.

-Toshio