Plan for Today's (20070625) Release Engineering meeting

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 04:38:58 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> writes:
> So, what happens when I have a package which I've previously updated and
> now need to do a security update for.

I was about to complain about that, but I see Jeremy beat me to it.

There is no way that a "security only" update stream isn't going to be
an entirely separate branch, costing fully as much maintenance effort
as any other separate branch (except maybe that there would be fewer
updates involved).  You could not expect to piggyback the same released
sources in both that branch and the "regular" one.

I don't actually see the point of attaching such a concept to Fedora,
which has a short update lifespan by design.  It makes sense for
long-lived platforms such as RHEL.  But we already saw Fedora Legacy
die on the vine, so where's the manpower going to come from to support
a "Fedora-security-update-only" branch?

			regards, tom lane