Plan for Today's (20070625) Release Engineering meeting

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 04:44:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 03:00 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 08:36:00PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Monday 25 June 2007 20:31:51 Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > If for example glibc has been updated yum update foo will not pull it
> > > in. Try it.
> >
> > If it has been updated and the new update of foo will not run
> > without the newer glibc and there are no rpm requirements on said
> > newer glibc libraries, we've got much bigger issues.
>
> True, but that's everyday's packaging business and is called "lack of
> forward compatibiliy in libraries". Actually that was the reason for
> having to build against only securty updates onstead of the whole
> update repo given in the trimmed away quote of mine.
>
> Now to get to real example: Replace glibc with glib/gtk and friends,
> that keep the same soname since Moses' birth and add symbols on the
> row. You can build something on F7's glib and from a packaging POV it
> will still fit into FC5 or FC4, but when the app runs it will break
> with missing g* calls.

As far as "glib, gtk and friends" are concerned, these do not at
any symbols in a stable branch, and Fedora release stay on a stable
branch, so your snide remarks are uncalled for, as far as these are
concerned. And talking about F7 packages on FC5 or FC4 is really
detracting from the topic here, which is security updates within a
single Fedora release.