Plan for Today's (20070625) Release Engineering meeting

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jun 26 01:49:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 09:20:16PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Monday 25 June 2007 21:15:49 Axel Thimm wrote:
> > That was one of the three options ;)
> >
> > I think a security-updates would not be bad, but maybe not in this
> > cycle, there's lot to do in short time and having a Fedora
> > enterprise-like stable branch with security updates isn't Fedora's
> > typical usage scenario.
>
> It's a tough thing to provide, and it would require anybody building a
> security update to build in two collections, potentially having multiple
> branches per release, one for "head" and one for "security", etc..  I think
> it's totally outside the scope of the Fedora project.

I don't think it would require to build twice or open up several
branches, though, once against release & other security updates would
be enough.

This assumes of course that FX at the end of its life is still
(mostly) *backwards* (!) compatible to FX at release time. Fedora's
pace and release cycle are balanced to not allow this to happen. For
example for F7 we even dropped mass-rebuilds, because we assumed that
not only FC6+updates is compatible to FC6 w/o, but even to F7.

While dropping mass-rebuilds was a mistake, this at least demonstrates
that the Fedora model is not supposed to become backwards incompatble
with itself within a release.

So the implementaion would be just another tag in koji. The maintainer
would have to fire a `make build-security' to have koji shove the
build into the proper tag which would inherit only release and not
updates. updates-candiates etc. would inherit from security. In fact
it looks like koji's model has already been planned to allow for this :)

Still let's make it an F9 feature to properly investigate in a 6 month
cycle, and even on F9 I wouldn't make it a high-priority item.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net