Core packages are using %config for files being installed under /usr

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Mar 1 13:30:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 10:03:24PM +0900, Akira TAGOH wrote:

> >> Those won't really be touched either. mkfontscale/mkfontdir output is not
> >> too reliable, people use "known good & tested" versions of fonts.dir
> >> instead of dynamic generation
>
> AT> Does it perhaps make sense to un%config them?
>
> Unmarking %config from fonts.dir and fonts.scale will makes
> trouble on upgrading since xfs initscript runs
> ttmkfdir/mkfontscale and mkfontdir automatically when it
> detects the updates on the directory where the fonts
> installed.
>
> Probably better keep the real fonts under /usr, which won't
> be touched by the hand at all and move fonts.* files under
> /var or /etc perhaps.

If it's really not "intended" to be modifed by a human, then /var
seems OK, otherwise it should be better underneath /etc.

The original intention may have been to have this modified by people,
but perhaps in Modern Times we don't want the users to turn these old
radio knobs anymore because they will fall off the radio and hide
under the sink?

Anyway personally I only care about removing %config from /usr, any
solution will do.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net