Core packages are using %config for files being installed under /usr

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Mar 1 14:22:55 UTC 2007

Le Jeu 1 mars 2007 14:39, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :

> Anyone who is using Unix for more than 10 years, probably had used it
> (knowingly or not) for a considerable amount of time. There still is a
> considerable some amount of SW around which still can use Xresources
> (and some of them, may-be core-fonts).

I do not question the way the core fonts system was designed, nor do I
question the fact there is a large pool of software that honors Xresources
or uses core fonts.

What I question is the number of people that take advantage of core font
configurability, given it never worked all that way when it was the state
of the art and meddling with it today is a quick way to hose apps no one
supports anymore. If you use legacy software you keep the defaults and
pray you won't hit a bug, you don't play with known-dangerous eyecandy
knobs.

fonts.alias needs to be kept in sync with fonts.dir strings to work.
fonts.dir content is not reliable (one of the many reasons core fonts fell
out of grace), unless you're the one shipping the font files and fonts.dir
in the first place. So if you want to play this game you do not need rw
access just to the fonts.* files, you need to replave the whole core font
directory.

--
Nicolas Mailhot