Core packages are using %config for files being installed under /usr

Laurent Rineau laurent.rineau__fedora_extras at normalesup.org
Thu Mar 1 19:31:03 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 22:49:26 Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > But we do want /usr to be "stateless".
> >
> > afaik, 'fonts.alias' has nothing todo with stateless or non-stateless.
> > This file won't be touched by any system program (in opposite to
> > fonts.dir and fonts.scale) but might be used to configure preferences for
> > certain fonts (e.g. 'fixed' or 'cursor').
>
> Which is really hard to do on a real-only filesystem.

I do not really understand your point. /etc/ could be chosen read-only as well
by the administrator.

When an administrators set a partition to be read-only, we still has the power
to remount it rw temporarily, to modify config files.

(I do have friends that have head a /etc read-only, on a server, times ago. It
is usable, as long as you have scripts to remount things rw before upgrades
and config tunings.)

--
Laurent Rineau
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LaurentRineau