Core packages are using %config for files being installed under /usr

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Mar 2 03:32:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 23:05 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 08:36:06PM +0100, Laurent Rineau wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 March 2007 14:30:57 Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > Anyway personally I only care about removing %config from /usr, any
> > > solution will do.
> >
> > Can you explain your rational against %config files in /usr?
>
>  "/usr is the second major section of the filesystem. /usr is
>  shareable, read-only data.
At one point in time, at "use-time".

This doesn't mean the data on /usr is inaccessible to a maintainer, nor
does this mean /usr to be "vendor-exclusive", nor does this mean /usr
not to be customizable.

> That means that /usr should be shareable
... between machines using an identical OSes, identical architectures
and "compatible" setups ...

>  between various FHS-compliant hosts and must not be written to.
It doesn't mean this.

It means /usr must not be written to at run-time, i.e. dynamically
created files. These are the files which nowadays go to /var, not %
config files (Note: %config == Not 100% under rpm-control !=
(configuration|customizable files).

>  Any
>  information that is host-specific or varies with time is stored
>  elsewhere."

Furthermore: You omitted the next sentence:
"Large software packages must not use a direct subdirectory under
the /usr hierarchy."

X11 traditionally had been installed under /usr/X11*. The sentence above
is a reflection of this fact.

Ralf