New place for Extras pages in the wiki (was: Re: Plan for tomorrows (20070301) FESCO meeting)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Mar 2 06:19:37 UTC 2007

On 01.03.2007 18:24, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>> It might be more appropriate now to change this in "Free discussions
>>> around Fedora" instead.
>> This reminds me: A lot of pages in the wiki are still in the Extras/
>> Namespace. Do we want to ignore that for now or shall we move the files
>> somewhere else? And remove all references to Extras while at it?
>> My vote is to move them to Packaging/, as most of the pages are about
>> packaging, so thatÄs the obvious place for it -- but that needs
>> coordination with the Packaging Committee, as they use Packaging/
>> currently (and have restrictive ACLs, which afaics most people would
>> like to avoid). The FESCo pages would be moved to FESCo/ maybe.
> What is the opinion of the Packaging Committee and others on this move?

No idea, they should all be on this list, so they hopefully speak up.

> I would do the needful if we can agree on what the new name space should
> be. If it is not Packaging then it can be under Collection since that
> matches the dist tag (Fedora Package Collection, .fc).

We (Board, FESCo, Community) need to agree to use the term them. I
brought that discussion up some weeks ago, and Max seemed to like
"Fedora Package Repository" (see
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-February/msg00584.html
) and Stickster liked "Fedora Collection" (without package)
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-February/msg00591.html

Anyway: Packaging/ is IMHO by far the best place in the wiki for most of
the current Extras/ pages, as new packagers don't care if a policy or
guideline was done and is maintained by the Packaging committee or by
FESCo -- most will probably prefer to have it nicely presented side my
side (that's a problem currently, too, as the review guidelines are in
Packaging/ and some other policies are in Extras/Policies/).

Further: The name Packaging makes it obvious what the pages are about --
the term Collection/ does not afaics.

CU
thl