The FHS /usr song (was: Core packages are using %config for files being installed under /usr)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Mar 2 10:46:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 11:26:40AM +0100, Laurent Rineau wrote:
> On Friday 02 March 2007 11:17:53 Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > I agree with Ralf. A read-only filesystem is not read-only for the system
> > > administrator: it can be turned read-write during administration stages,
> > > for upgrades and configurations.
> > >
> > > Axel, do you agree with that? What is *really* your rational against
> > > %config in /usr?
> >
> > Whether *I* agree with that or not (FWIW I don't) is completely
> > irrelevant, the quote is from the FHS, not me, and we follow the FHS.
>
> What is wrong is your understanding of the FSH. Re-read Ralf's messages.

Repeat after me with a gospel like preaching:

a) "/usr is [...] read-only data."
b) "[...] /usr [...] must not be written to."
c) "Any information that is host-specific ..."
     The chorus in the background with a higher pitch:
     "~ and that includes configuration ~"
    "[...] is stored elsewhere."

The refrain goes:
    "Yes, Lord, the FHS have given us a read-only /usr specfication."
    "Yes, Lord, we praise you for that."
    "Yes, Lord, we won't put host-specific information in there."
    "Yes, Lord, hallelujah."

Repeat a-c) again and close with the refrain. Take a piano, it helps. :)
(Don't use it on my head, though, the above should make you laugh, I hope)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net