Core packages are using %config for files being installed under /usr

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Mar 2 12:00:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 11:49:59AM +0100, Laurent Rineau wrote:
> On Friday 02 March 2007 11:36:46 Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Nice work. I could probably pick the US anthem and add as much of my
> > own wording/interpretation in it to make it sound like a Taliban
> > mainfest or vice versa. I really like the part where you suggest that
> > the FHS "doesn't mean what they write".
>
> *I* mean that your reading o the FHS is too strict. How could a /usr partition
> be read-only during a yum update, for example?

That's not at all what I (or the FHS) suggest, and 99.9% of /usr are
mounted rw. When the FHS writes read-only it doesn't require you to
use ROM media or similar. The files do need to get on the system and
be managed, of course.

If you like so during rpm/deb operation, the FHS is momentarily
violated. ;)

> > The FHS' wording and intentions are clear.
>
> I still agree. The FHS wording is clear, but your interpretation seems strange
> to me.

OK, let's quote the FHS again which repeadedly lays great emphasis on
keeping /usr read-only (or possible to mount read-only if you prefer),
and not only from configuration files. Allowing /usr to be indeed a
read-only partition, or read-only nfs/gfs mount etc is a primary
target in the FHS. And we are even stricter by design, because
stateless Linux requires even root to be read-only mountable with
/etc and /var exceptions.

"/var is specified here in order to make it possible to mount /usr
read-only."

"Static and variable files should be segregated, because static files,
unlike variable files, can be stored on read-only media and do not
need to be backed up on the same schedule as variable files."

"Historical UNIX-like filesystem hierarchies contained both static and
variable files under both /usr and /etc. In order to realize the
advantages mentioned above, the /var hierarchy was created and all
variable files were transferred from /usr to /var. Consequently /usr
can now be mounted read-only (if it is a separate filesystem)."

"/usr is shareable, read-only data [...] must not be written to"
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net