The FHS /usr song

Laurent Rineau laurent.rineau__fedora_extras at normalesup.org
Fri Mar 2 12:06:31 UTC 2007

On Friday 02 March 2007 12:43:31 Paul Howarth wrote:
> Laurent Rineau wrote:
> > I really what a discussion. You may convince me and Ralf. But give good
> > reasons. AS far as I understand, the FSH does not state that sitewise
> > config files cannot be in /usr, and as far as I understand, the FSH
> > states that sitewise config could not be in /etc (be cause /etc is host
> > specific). What is wrong with my interpretation?
>
> I believe that site-wide configuration files may be kept under /usr and
> that this falls within the description of /usr in the FHS. However, as
> packagers we do not know if admins using our packages will be wanting to
> configure them on a host-by-host basis or a site-wide basis. Since it's
> likely that at least some admins are going to want to configure packages
> on a host-by-host basis, does it not follow that packages should *not*
> place configuration files under /usr, at least unless such configuration
> can be overridden by another configuration file elsewhere such as in /etc?

I agree with you.

In an ideal word, I would have preferred that any configuration file that has
a meaning in a site-wise configuration exists in both /etc/ and /usr.

For example, /usr/lib/openoffice.org2.0/share/psprint/psprint.conf (from
openoffice.org-core) should be marked as %config(noreplace), but there should
also exists a similar config file in /etc. (Actually openoffice.org packages,
in FC-6, do not have %config files at all.)

--
Laurent Rineau
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LaurentRineau