Proposed guideline for init script files

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Fri Mar 2 18:13:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 11:17 +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:
> - Which commands should be mandatory and which optional (start, stop,
> restart, condrestart and status are the most expected ones, reload
> doesn't always make sense).

This is getting OT for this thread, but the LSB defines some of this in
great detail [1] - we should probably at least pull the requirements on
status exit codes into the guidelines, since that is extremely important
for automating service management.

David

[1]
http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_3.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/iniscrptact.html