The FHS /usr song (was: Core packages are using %config for files being installed under /usr)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Mar 2 19:48:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 07:47:41PM +0100, Laurent Rineau wrote:
> I do not see why we prevent all our users from modifying
> /usr/share/X11/app-defaults/XTerm, as soon as we provide them a way
> to do the same thing in /etc/.

Sigh. :(

This is not about what /etc is missing, but what /usr has too much.

If you allow modification under /usr in general you shoot off the
applications that need to assume /usr not being edited by Joe Admin
Random.

The FHS tries to setup standards so some assertions can hold true.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net