The FHS /usr song (was: Core packages are using %config for files being installed under /usr)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Mar 5 11:11:44 UTC 2007

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 10:47:18PM -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> How exactly do you propose packages should install anything under /usr
> if its readonlyness is so sacrosanct ? Does it at least occur to you
> that it cannot be readonly at install time ?

Please don't be so literate, we already looped twice around the world
explaining this. If you read it letter by letter and ignore FHS'
intentions you may indeed logically conclude that /usr would be an
empty filesystem, but try reading the full context.

The bottom line is: Don't %config/%config(noreplace) files under /usr.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net