Proposed guideline for init script files

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Mar 6 11:51:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 11:56 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 04:33:28 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > cp -a /etc/init.d/foo /etc/init.d/foo-custom
> > > chkconfig foo off
> > > chkconfig foo-custom on
> > This is exactly the same, %config(noreplace) would do automatically.
>
> Turning on a renamed service script will decouple any rpm scriptlets from
> the service name. You don't get a condrestart and things like that for the
> renamed service after package upgrades, for instance. Pray that the
> modified service still restarts after an unexpected reboot (power-outage).
How many times do I have to reiterate it?

In practice, this is not an issue!

> It's better to use the init-script that is provided in the packages
> and keep it customised with the help of a separate config file.
How many times do I have to reiterate this: This only helps if the init
script isn't broken itself.

If you want to test: Just insert a typo into an init script and imagine
Fedora doesn't fix it with the next upgrade.

> Suggesting that init-scripts are a place where to %config something
> is wrong already.
I could not disagree more. You guys are religious about something that
isn't an issue, but are gradually degrading usability towards NULL.

Ralf