Proposed guideline for init script files

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Mar 6 12:52:06 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 13:26 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > Turning on a renamed service script will decouple any rpm scriptlets from
> > > the service name. You don't get a condrestart and things like that for the
> > > renamed service after package upgrades, for instance. Pray that the
> > > modified service still restarts after an unexpected reboot (power-outage).
> > How many times do I have to reiterate it?
> >
> > In practice, this is not an issue!

> > If you want to test: Just insert a typo into an init script and imagine
> > Fedora doesn't fix it with the next upgrade.
>
> Is this a theoretical problem?
No, it's a practical problem, I've been hit by dozens of times ever
since I am using Fedora/RHL.

>  Or has this a historical background in
> bugzilla?
Dunno, ATM, I feel too fed up with this topic to be wanting to waste
further time on digging bugzilla for it.

You are not fixing any issue nor bug by dropping %config, you are
degrading usability. When it hits again, I will remind all those of you
who currently are for it (You, Michael, will be the first).

Ralf