Fedora User Management (revisited)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Mar 6 14:36:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 08:28:48AM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> We've been discussing Fedora User Management in EPEL.  I propose a vote,
> all maintainers are welcome to vote.  The outcome is FINAL.  If we chose

A vote isn't the way to go in my opinion. The number of people is not
relevant when it comes to technical issues. Collecting people thoughts
on that matter would be interesting though, but I think having FESCo
or FPC choose would be better.

> not to use fedora user management, it dies and packages that currently
> use it will have bugs filed to remove it. If we vote to use it.  It
> becomes mandatory.  Having two systems is amateur and confusing.

It may be confusing, but not amateur. Having choice is right.

My personal opinion is that using one or the other system should be left
to the packager, until one possibility clearly showed to be superior. If
an alternative appears to be better, stick to that alternative, but the
agreement should be more than a mere vote.

--
Pat