Proposed guideline for init script files

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 19:17:27 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 14:06:40 Steve Dickson wrote:
> Unless I've misunderstood... '%config initscripts' are no longer legal
> so if a customer has valuable information in that script it will be
> lost... But that will be THEIR fault for putting there!!!!! And the
> Fedora community will teach them that lesson... Unfortunately
> the hard way... :-\
>
> With policies like this (i.e. not allowing maintainers to preserver
> existing environments) truly give the appearance that this community
> really don't give a damn about anything but their own way of
> doing things... Very similar to Microsoft... Won't you say?

In case you missed it, existing configuration (if it was properly marked, many
of our current init scripts do NOT mark them as %config) will be saved when
the package drops the %config attribute for the init script.  Yes, future
configuration should go elsewhere, and that is all in documentation.  In
order to clean up the distribution and make things more consolidated, some
historical assumptions have to be broken.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora