Fedora User Management (revisited)

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 20:50:01 UTC 2007

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Mike McGrath wrote:
>> It only  solves a few rare use cases and it's causing real problems.
>
> Honestly, I've yet to see/hear of anything except theoretical problems
> based on ignorance of how fedora-usermngt
I'm not ignorant of how it works.  But in the many years I've been using
Linux, even in environments of thousands of machines I've never run into
a use case that needed to be solved by fedora user mgmt.  Having said
that, I understand that some have.  I'm not against something.  As long
as that something is completely transparent.  The current system isn't.
> You're now the second person on related threads to claim real problems
> exist.  I'm curious, what are they?
I'll give you 3
1) It doesn't work in epel
2) It ties us to something proprietary.  No one else uses it, even dists
that are downstream from us remove it, which is embarrassing if nothing
else.
3) It's not universal, only some packages use it, some don't.  So only
some of the use cases for some of the packages are covered.

    -Mike