Fedora User Management (revisited)

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 21:07:07 UTC 2007

Enrico Scholz wrote:
> To which (technical) problems are you refering here? Run/installtime
> requirements for 'fedora-usermgmt' can be disabled by building with a
> '--without fedora' switch.

How convenient for us.
> I do not think that a non-trivial spec file can be shared across
> distributions or even between different versions of a distribution.

The thing that makes it non-trivial is fedora-usermgmt.
> Therefore, either remove the fedora-usermgmt code completely from the
> EPEL packages and write them in in a merge-friendly way, or create a
> small fedora-usermgmt-devel replacement (without the features requiring
> newer rpm) and expand the macros to the plain shadow-utils variant.

Again, you can pretend that no problems exist and that no one is
complaining just because its convenient for your needs but the fact is
we've traded one set of problems for another.  I'm still pushing for a
vote because I think there's more people that would prefer to remove
fedora-usermgmt then keep it. I've even offered my preferred way which
would work for everyone; make it transparent and replace useradd.
Anything less than that is a hack.

    -Mike

    -Mike