Fedora User Management (revisited)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 21:35:42 UTC 2007

On 3/6/07, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> Mike McGrath wrote:
> > It only  solves a few rare use cases and it's causing real problems.
>
> Honestly, I've yet to see/hear of anything except theoretical problems
> based on ignorance of how fedora-usermngt works.
>
> You're now the second person on related threads to claim real problems
> exist.  I'm curious, what are they?

I had a problem on a cluster of systems that for some reason ended up
with multiple different UID's for the same application. I did not know
why it happened.. but it caused me enough problems cleaning it up it
got on my bad list. [This was early on in FUM so I expect I hit a
bug.]

I then ran into a problem where I needed to have various FE items
working on RHEL-2,3,4 systems. Running into the fact it used items not
supported by those OS's added more to my dis-temper.