Fedora User Management (revisited)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 17:16:56 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 10:33 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Mike McGrath wrote:
> > Rex Dieter wrote:
>
> >> You're now the second person on related threads to claim real problems
> >> exist.  I'm curious, what are they?
>
> > I'll give you 3
> > 1) It doesn't work in epel
> > 2) It ties us to something proprietary.  No one else uses it, even dists
> > that are downstream from us remove it, which is embarrassing if nothing
> > else.
> > 3) It's not universal, only some packages use it, some don't.  So only
> > some of the use cases for some of the packages are covered.
>
> OK, I guess my definition of "real problems" is different than yours.
> Mine is: it's broken and doesn't work.
>
> Other than 1 (which can potentially be fixed/worked-around), the rest
> are comments around the idea that fedora-usermgmt may not be the *ideal*
> solution.  And I agree it's not ideal.
>
> What I disagree with is the notion that fedora-usermnmt be rejected
> before a better, working solution is ready to take its place(1).

I agree 100%.  Peter Vrabec pvrabec at r.c seems to be the shadow-utils
maintainer.  If we really want to get the functionality into
shadow-utils so we don't have to do it in a separate package, someone
needs to get him to comment on:
  1) Can we implement this in shadow-utils
  2) If not, does he have a suggestion for dealing with expanding the
set of static userids?

-Toshio