Fedora User Management (revisited)

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 14:48:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 15:34 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 09:28:46PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > >  It only
> > > solves a few rare use cases and it's causing real problems.
> > If you call "rare use cases" every server that didn't snatch a sub-100
> > uid while there where some room left
>
> To be clear, I'm only in favor of getting rid of it if some other way of
> rationally assigning fixed user ids is phased in.

Sorry to jump in in the middle of the discussion, but I really don't get
why you should have fixed uids.
Sure 1-100 is a too tiny space, Fedora should probably begin to reserve
1-1000 or maybe 1-10000 for "system/packages" uids.
You can't fix the size problem switching from dynamic to fixed uids so I
don't see the point.

Simo.