Fedora User Management (revisited)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Mar 8 15:53:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 03:45:54PM +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> writes:
>
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageUserRegistry
> >
> > That is exactly the issue with this approach: These uid/guid have been
> > silently reserved.
>
> What do you expect here else? I do not see a problem with this when
> consecutive uids are used. Most systems will have a range of perhaps
> 500-1000 free uids which can be used for system accounts.

This problem can't be solved on a *per site* basis, by asking the
admin to reserve some space. How many admins are aware that there is
such a mechanism at all? If at all then probably long after the first
such packages have been installed by the fallback mechanism which
doesn't really buy them much, since by then all machines will be
de-synced in the uid/gid space anyway due to different ordering of the
package installs.

> > # smart install fedora-usermgmt
> > # /usr/sbin/fedora-useradd 42 delme
> > # id delme
> > uid=5214(delme) gid=5214(delme) groups=5214(delme)
> >
> > That is in the middle of my user accounts!
>
> fedora-usermgmt does not protect against broken rpm %scriptlets... (ok;
> when there is really need to test for missing '-r', some sanity checks
> can be added...).
>
> | # useradd delme
>
> will cause exactly the same brokeness. You probably wanted to do
>
> | # fedora-useradd 42 -r delme

I was just following the README which comes with the package ...

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net