emacs and /etc/alternatives

Chip Coldwell coldwell at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 18:40:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Chip Coldwell wrote:

> But in both cases, you expect to be able to run "emacs foo.c" from the
> bash prompt and it will DTRT.  So /usr/bin/emacs *must* be either a
> symlink or a wrapper script (currently, it's a symlink to a wrapper
> script).

Let me clarify this -- /usr/bin/emacs must be either a symlink or a
wrapper script unless the emacs and emacs-nox packages conflict.

Given that, it seems to me like /etc/alternatives is the preferred
solution -- at least it's a standard way to set up a symlink.  It is
definitely the right thing to do on Debian systems.

Chip

--
Charles M. "Chip" Coldwell
Senior Software Engineer