emacs and /etc/alternatives

Chip Coldwell coldwell at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 19:44:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 02:30:42PM -0500, Chip Coldwell wrote:
> > So should I infer that Fedora has an ambivalent attitude toward the
> > /etc/alternatives mechanism?
>
> I can't speak for everyone, but in general, yes -- it's a necessary evil for
> complex compatibile systems like postfix/sendmail/exim, but shouldn't be
> used as a general hammer when there's no good reason.

In that case, I guess my preference is to have the two packages
conflict with each other.  As has already been mentioned, if you
install the GUI emacs, you can still run it in a terminal by
specifying the "-nw" switch.  The only reason to install emacs-nox is
to avoid sucking in all the dependencies, so you should never install
it if you already have the GUI emacs.

Chip

--
Charles M. "Chip" Coldwell