emacs and /etc/alternatives

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 21:55:01 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 16:31:23 Chip Coldwell wrote:
> I really don't understand the difference between two packages
>
> emacs: with GTK+, etc.
> emacs-nox: without GTK+, etc.
>
> and two packages:
>
> emacs-gnome: with GTK+, etc.
> emacs: without GTK+, etc.
>
> Aside from the renaming, how is this different from the present
> situation?

One would hope that you can do this in such a way that you could
install 'emacs' and not drag in gnome, and it would do text mode only, and
then install emacs-gnome which gives emacs the ability to do gui.  Perhaps
emacs supplies a /usr/bin/emacs script that defaults to /usr/bin/emacs-tui,
and if you try to pass it -x it will note the lack of /usr/bin/emacs-gnome
and tell you no, but if you install emacs-gnome subpackage, the libraries and
deps are then installed and emacs -x would launch the gui emacs.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora