emacs and /etc/alternatives

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 23:16:16 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 16:59:36 Chip Coldwell wrote:
> Right now: if you install emacs it drags in gtk/gdk/atk/etc, but you
> can invoke it with "-nw" and it will run in a terminal.  Or you can
> install emacs-nox which does not drag in gtk/gdk/atk/etc, and it will
> only run in a terminal.
>
> So is your recommendation rename emacs to emacs-gnome, rename
> emacs-nox to emacs, and add a "-x" command line switch to emacs
> (renamed from emacs-nox) whose purpose is to emit an error message?

my recommendation is to find a way to consolidate the two distinct binaries
into one that can optionally load gui libraries if A) they exist and B) an
option was passed to load them.

Or we just throw out the non-gui emacs and only ship the one that can do both,
to be damned with pulling in a gtk stack.  I don't want conflicts and I don't
want to involve alternatives if at all possible.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora