Fedora User Management (revisited)

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Mar 9 09:29:24 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> writes:

> So with the currently reserved 500 system uid/gids we are already
> rather fine.
>
> The questions is do any of these packages really need *fixed* uid/gids?
> I really doubt it.

It depends on the use case. E.g. 'ntp' does not need fixed uids in
standard installations. But enhancing it and putting it into a chroot
might change situation.

Whether you assign predictable uids for all or only the really required
services does not make a difference for fedora-usermgmt. The suggested
window size of perhaps 500-1000 free users will cope with both.

Wrapper script can be modified to translate the hint into non-continous
areas too (e.g. hint 0-300 -> window 63000-66000, 301-2000 -> window
40000-41699)

> But for whatever its worth let's raise
> the fixed/non-fixed cross-over from uid/gid 100 to 200 for F8 or F9.

I suggest 500-999; should not break LSB more than the 100-200 idea. But
reuid'ing normal users is much easier than doing this for services.

Enrico