Fedora User Management (revisited)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Mar 9 10:01:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 10:29:24AM +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> > But for whatever its worth let's raise the fixed/non-fixed
> > cross-over from uid/gid 100 to 200 for F8 or F9.
>
> I suggest 500-999; should not break LSB more than the 100-200 idea. But
> reuid'ing normal users is much easier than doing this for services.

We can only mess with below 500. There are far too many large scale
user deployments relying on putting their existing users to 500
upwards. Breaking this is not an option.

Moving the bar from 100 to 200/anything will already break
applications that randomly were allocated to some uid there, and this
needs to be fixed per package, that's why we need a F8/F9 timeframe
for doing that.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net