emacs and /etc/alternatives

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 17:04:26 UTC 2007

On Friday 09 March 2007 11:59:51 Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> > Yes.  In order to meet the merge review requirements for Fedora 7 I must
> > silence rpmlint.
>
> Perhaps a patch for rpmlint is then in order.  My pet package
> (systemtap) has aspects that rpmlint mistakenly deems offensive.  It
> would be a shame if that tool were not fixable and its decision were
> treated as final.

rpmlint is a handy tool to point out potential problems.  If there are
reasonable exceptions to the rpmlint Errors, those should be considered and
waived for the review (so long as comments in the spec file clearly state why
something is triggering rpmlint and why it is necessary)

rpmlint is not supposed to be the be all / end all review tool, it's output is
_not_ final.  It is a tool to generate discussion points for further
investigation and the reviewer/reviewee need to discuss/come to an agreement.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora