vim and /etc/alternatives

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 17:08:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 10:40 +0100, Tomas Janousek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 10:19:10AM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > There is also vim. I guess it is not exactly the same split, but it
> > seems to be split to keep a minimal vim-minimal.
>
> In fact, the vim split is much more nonsense imo. I didn't find any option to
> run gvim in text mode so I just ended up replacing vim-minimal and
> vim-enhanced packages by my own that provide just a bunch of symlinks to
> gvim. Honestly, the alternatives approach in debian is one thousand times
> better.

The vim split has another purpose: To keep the X, perl, and python
libraries off of /.

We need /bin/vi to run if /usr is not mounted.  So we have to compile a
version of vim that doesn't drag in the kitchen sink.

> If anyone wonders why did I do that -- the -ehnanced version does not support
> xterm mouse and X clipboard. Sucks, doesn't it?

Uhm.  No it doesn't.  I hate how gvim moves the cursor when I click in
it with a mouse (I just want to select the text to paste into evolution
or firefox, not move my editing cursor) and I have three buttons for a
reason :-)  (Unlike the vim-minimal split, I understand that vim's
interaction with the mouse is a matter of personal taste.)

-Toshio