emacs and /etc/alternatives

Chip Coldwell coldwell at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 17:27:11 UTC 2007

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 09:12 -0500, Chip Coldwell wrote:
> >
> > Well, then I guess my preference would be to eliminate the -nox subpackage
> > from Fedora.  We can continue to support it for RHEL, since there will be
> > headless servers, etc, that don't need all the GUI infrastructure.
> >
> You're going to find that some reviewers balk heavily at this.  Perhaps
> even enough to veto a package that another reviewer is willing to
> approve.  Luckily I don't use emacs so I don't have to get involved with
> that one :-)

If you've been following this thread, you must realize that I am just
blowing with the wind here.  My initial notion was to use the
/etc/alternatives infrastructure.  That's what Debian does, and it seems
like this is precisely the sort of thing that /etc/alternatives was meant
to handle: two alternative methods of providing the same (or nearly the
same) functionality.  We could even fold in xemacs.

That met with strenous objections.

Then I suggested having two packages that conflict with each other.

That met with strenous objections.

Then I suggested dropping the emacs-nox package.

That met with strenous objections.

> What would be most productive in this conversation, though, is posting
> the reason that you're thinking of changing the way emacs builds and
> installs.

I suppose I could, but given how this thread on a much narrower topic has
gone, what hope is there of reaching consensus on the entire rpmlint
output?

Chip

--
Charles M. "Chip" Coldwell