emacs and /etc/alternatives

Chip Coldwell coldwell at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 17:47:17 UTC 2007

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 12:27:11PM -0500, Chip Coldwell wrote:
> > blowing with the wind here.  My initial notion was to use the
> > /etc/alternatives infrastructure.  That's what Debian does, and it seems
> > like this is precisely the sort of thing that /etc/alternatives was meant
> > to handle: two alternative methods of providing the same (or nearly the
> > same) functionality.  We could even fold in xemacs.
>
> Your point about xemacs is a very strong argument for not using
> alternatives. That's *exactly* what it's not for.

I don't see your point.  With /etc/alternatives, you could have both GNU
emacs (X and no-X versions) and Lucid/XEmacs installed simultaneously and
each user could run the one he prefers.  Those who have no preference
would get the systemwide default set in /etc/alternatives.

Chip

--
Charles M. "Chip" Coldwell
Senior Software Engineer