emacs and /etc/alternatives

Chip Coldwell coldwell at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 17:51:45 UTC 2007

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Friday 09 March 2007 12:39:16 Andrew Haley wrote:
> > Me too.  I'd like to continue to use Fedora on headless servers.
>
> Specifically with out the few megs that X libs would require?  You can still
> run emacs with the option to not do graphical.

Really, there's much more to it than just the space on disk and in the RSS
that the libraries occupy.  By linking emacs to the entire GUI
infracstructure, you expose it to all of the bugs in those libraries (e.g.
224611).  There's more to the minimalist approach than megabytes.

Chip

--
Charles M. "Chip" Coldwell
Senior Software Engineer