emacs and /etc/alternatives

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Sat Mar 10 00:35:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:17:40 -0800
a.badger at gmail.com (Toshio Kuratomi) wrote:

At the risk of adding to a already too lengthy discussion...

> As we've seen from the discussion about alternatives setting the
> preference at the wrong level; setting the preference
> in /usr/bin/emacs is pushing a user-preference out to the system
> where it doesn't belong. We want the user to set the preference.  The
> script needs slight modification to have a preferred value passed in
> via ENV VAR.

...snipp script...

Instead of re-inventing something like this, how about using the
already existing "environment-modules" package?
http://modules.sourceforge.net/

A lot of places already use this in cluster sites or sites with lots of
users that need different gcc, etc.

You could have emacs-nox put in a default module, if emacs-x11 was
installed it could change the default, but in the end, the user could
change what they would prefer to run from the choices available to them
installed by their sysadmin.

I haven't used modules extensively, so I might be missing why it won't
work in this case, but I thought I would throw the idea out there.

> -Toshio

kevin