Fedora User Management (revisited)

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat Mar 10 12:18:32 UTC 2007

Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> writes:

>> Most daemons are candidates for fixed uid/gid; unfortunately, there is
>> only a small range (0-100) available. 'fedora-usermgmt' *allows* the
>> administrator to use a free range of uids for service users.
>
> The main problems I see are 1) the package portability annoyance and

The '--hint' patch for useradd should remove the need for 'Requires():
fedora-usermgmt'. But it will require further changes to the shadow-utils
package and perhaps anaconda to solve your point 2.

> 2) the serious issue of how to configure it *before* installation.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-March/msg00793.html

In short: you do not have to change or remove anything but have to add a
new package which is installed instead of the
'fedora-usermgmt-default-fedora-setup' package.

Sure, it will be possible to make the hint-translator configurable in
other, not 'alternatives' using ways. I am open for suggestions there.

> To solve #2, we need to have a static registry (i.e. preconfigure the
> package), and if we're doing that, we might as well do away with it
> completely.

How? There is no way to determine whether next nighly 'yum upgrade' will
install a previously unknown user and to do the required steps to create
this user.

Enrico